Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Week 18: "He Already Goes to Our Church!"

December 14, 2015
Hello darling friends!! This email will likely be a little shorter than most because I don't have a ton of time to write (Thank goodness, right? I know these can get super long at times...), but we'll see how fast I can get these fingers to type!! 

So, this week was pretty spectacular, and uneventful as well, but hey, some weeks have to be a little dull so we can appreciate the really good ones, right? Oh yeah! :) 

So, on Monday night after P-day, we were going to visit Greg (the one who is putting off Heart Surgery) and Sister Schmidt pulls the car off of the road, parks, we say a prayer, are getting out of the car, and my foot sinks a good 4 or 5 inches into the mud... good thing I was wearing my white shoes, am I right!? Haha, so we move the car because I can't walk through that all, and, all of this mud flies onto the right side of the car and totally cakes the thing in a bucket-ton of mud. Driving around after it was dry was the worst. We got permission to get a car wash mid-week because it definitely wasn't something that we were comfortable with driving... haha, I'll attach a picture. It was a funny experience for sure.. 

We had a lesson with one of our investigators, Elena, this week. She has been out of town for the last month or so, but she's finally back now! It was such a neat experience, because we were teaching her the Restoration, about the Book of Mormon and about Joseph Smith and how the same Church that Christ Himself set up on the earth so long ago has been restored in these last days, and at the end she was kind of quiet and we asked her what she was feeling, and explaining to her what the Spirit feels like (Galatians 5:22-23).. "love, joy, peace, longsuffering, etc." and she was like, "I feel like reassured to keep meeting with you." It was SO COOL!!!!! I just love it when I get to witness people feeling the Spirit for the first time.. It is my favorite part of missionary work! :) 

We also went to visit a family in our ward to fill out a Family Mission Plan with them. We asked the youngest daughter, Maele (Miley), which one of her friends she could talk about the gospel with, and she was like, "Hmm.. Probably Noah." Then we asked her what she had already done with Noah, and she said, "Talked about Church," and then we were like, "Wow! That's awesome! What do you think you can do next with Noah? Do you think you could invite Him to Church?" .. and then she looked as us with a weird look on her face and exclaims, "He already goes to our Church!!!!! He's a member!" It was seriously the funniest thing.. and also super awkward. No wonder her family was all laughing when she said his name. Well, members need to be strengthened too! No doubt about it. Good stuff. :)

I also got to go on Exchanges this week with our Sister Training Leader, Sister Huang (she goes home on the 28th of this month, so she's pretty much a professional missionary). We had such an eventful day! We went tracting (knocking on doors and asking if people are interested in learning more about the church) and either no one was home or didn't want us to talk to them, and we were about to walk back to the car, but then we decided to knock one last door, and a 13 yr-old girl answers and tells us that her family might be interested in learning more, and that they don't really have a church that they go to all of the time. She was especially excited when we talked to her about Young Women's and all of the friends she could make there. It was so neat!! :) Her name is Tatiana. We are so excited to go back and talk with her and her family. People always say that the one who accepts the message is the last door you try, and that was so true! I am so grateful for the Spirit and for being able to try and spread God's love to all of His Children here in Spokane, no matter their circumstances. We also got to help one of our Potential Investigators put up her Christmas lights as a surprise for husband who is out of town. I've never put up lights before, so that was fun! :) 

After Exchanges, Sister Schmidt came home and said that she wasn't feeling well. She got some sort of stomach flu, and so we were pretty much in the house the rest of the week, so I got a lot of updating records and things to do, so that was a little bit boring, but it's okay!!! It needed to be done and she needed to feel better so that we can go out and spread the good word this week. :) But, we were able to leave for Specialized Training with the Zone and our Mission President and his Wife, and one of our zone leaders was saying that during the last 2 transfers (12 weeks), our zone has had at least 1 baptism every single week.. how cool is that!? 

Something really embarrassing that happened was that our district was asked to sing, and they decided that I should sing a solo for one of the verses of "Oh Come, Oh Come, Emmanuel." We had practiced a ton, I was nervous, and we get up there, sing everything right, and then on my solo, I totally start singing the wrong verse.. So, being super nervous, I stop singing, say sorry, and then continue singing the right verse, instead of starting over or just singing the verse I was singing until the end... it was SUPER awkward.. needless to say, I was super embarrassed about that and don't think I'll be singing too many solos from now on. I didn't mess up at all during any of the practices, but of course I had to mess up during the real thing.. So awesome........ Oh well! 

Anyway, so.. during the time that I was in the house while Sister Schmidt was sick, I got to read "His Grace is Sufficient" by Brad Wilcox. It is an amazing talk! You should totally all read it this week! I know that our Savior's grace makes up all of the difference and that we can go to Him with whatever we have and He will help us to be more than we could ever be on our own. Well, my time is up. I love you all! I love this mission, and I love my Savior. May we each remember Him more fully this Christmas season. 

Love you! Have a glorious week! :) 

-The nasty Car.. haha
-The Christmas lights we help put up! She wanted to stop them before they finished lining the roof, so that was strange. Oh well! :) 
-A hat I crocheted this week. So fun! :) 

-- 
"God be with you 'till we meet again!"

Hurrah for Israel!

Much Love,
Sister Jennifer Griffith

No comments:

Post a Comment