Friday, May 20, 2016

Week 37: Toe-ns of Fun!

April 25, 2016
(In case that didn't make any sense to you.. that's supposed to be "Tons of Fun" with toes... it will make sense in a minute).

SO..... HELLO AGAIN!!!! I love you all and hope that you had the happiest week in ALL the lands. I know that my week was pretty dandy... thanks for asking. :) 

Well, so.. first of all.. about that subject line. I can't remember if I mentioned it or not, but (skip this if you get grossed out easily) I had some sort of weird thing growing on the bottom of my big toe throughout the last couple months- ever since a few weeks after I got transferred to Bonners Ferry. ANYWAY... so, this week I went to the foot Dr to get it taken care of because it never went away. They thought it was a wart, but NOPE.. false... it was a foreign object (the Dr. thinks like a piece of hair or something) that entered into my toe and then my body built up a wall around it which made itself present as a wart... So, he took some blades to my toe and got it to come out.. whatever it was. The whole thing just came off of my toe and then he realized that there was a wart underneath it which he then removed as well. He saw it and said, "Yeah, this is going to hurt a lot for me to get this out, so I'm going to have to numb you up." So, he did. 2 shots later, I couldn't feel a thing... what a blessing. Afterward, the Dr said,"this should be numb for the next 3 hours of so, and then after that, it will probably hurt a lot." Then he gave me some additional bandages to change it and things. So, I was worried about that.. good thing we had the car that day. Well, there was no need to worry. Just like the Lord always does, He provided a way for me to be able to continue on in the work.. He definitely looks after His missionaries!! ...my toe wasn't numb for 3 hours, it was numb for 3 DAYS! So, that was a blessing, because during the part where it would have hurt the most, it didn't hurt at all. I am doing fine now.. it's healing very well. The funny thing though, was that I had to wear flip flops out proselyting (don't worry, the mission nurse gave me permission) because my toe was so giant it couldn't fit in any of my shoes!!... the biggest tender mercy of all was that the nurse came out to call me back and instead of saying my first name like every other Dr, she said, "Sister Griffith..." Well.. she was LDS, so that was awesome, and SO. WAS. THE. DOCTOR!! How amazing is that? The person that referred us to them wasn't even LDS, so it was definitely a blessing! 

Also, something else awesome that happened this week was that I got to check off "Eat Moose" from my bucket list!! It's so ironic.. 3 months in Bonners Ferry and no one ever fed me Moose. But then I come to Post Falls, and BOOM! Moose and Bacon burger coming right up.. it was delicious, just in case you were wondering. 

Also, Michelle and Mikayla (our only 2 real investigators) came to church again yesterday and are planning on getting baptized on May 7th!! I think I mentioned that last week... Anyway, for Michelle to get baptized she has to quit smoking at least 2 weeks before the baptism. Well, the 2 week mark was on Saturday.. and SHE HASN'T SMOKED AT ALL! Yesterday at church she was like, "Yeah.. I went outside last night and I was looking through the buds in the ash tray and I was like.. man, I have a real problem if I'm going through these nasty buds. Then, I told myself, 'Michelle, if you smoke, you're going to jail.' (even though that's not true), and I went back inside and I haven't smoked at all!" It was so awesome!! I'm so excited for their baptism!! We have been praying for her a lot that she can keep resisting the urge to smoke.. so far, so good! They also came to the baptism of someone else this week so that Mikayla could see what their baptism is going to be like, and the Spirit was strong. Afterward, they were like, "we want this, this and this to happen at our baptism." It was so heart-warming that they're already planning it! Love that!! :) 

Well, something else funny that happened this week was that we come home on Saturday night only to find that our power is completely out. We tried to flip all of the breakers off and on to no avail, and so we called our landlord and he gave us the number for the power company and they were able to talk us through what to do... so that was an adventure. All was well, though.. by the end of the night, we had power fully restored.. Never a dull moment! :) 

Well, to end, I just want to end with something that has really affected the way that I pray.  A Spiritual Experience that really has blessed me this week was of learning about prayer and how to better align my will with Heavenly Father's will for me. I came across this article on LDS.org about "How to Pray in a Way God Can Answer." Reading it, it's like it was written just for me. It's amazing. It's all about how we tend to pray for things that we want, or things that are our will... but oftentimes we leave out Heavenly Father's will. When we pray, it is important that we pray for both wills. "____________ (my will), (insert the phrase) 'but if not', __________ (something I'm sure Heavenly Father wants for me/that person)." I have tried doing this during the week, and it has been powerful. I really was only praying for my will, not my Father's. When I started including both wills, the Spirit has been so much stronger in my life, and my prayers have just about always been answered. What a blessing! (it makes more sense on the article - https://www.lds.org/blog/how-to-pray-in-a-way-god-can-answer?lang=eng)

Well friends, missionary work is the BEST work ever. I am so grateful to be a part of it, and to be able to learn and grow in this amazing setting. I hope that you all have a wonderful week and that you can try the whole "Praying in a Way God Can Answer" thing.. it will change your life and strengthen your relationship with Heavenly Father and Christ, I just know it. Love you all! 

Until next week then,

-My giant toe
-EATING MOOSEN!!!!! :D.. super exciting.
-Some super cute invitations we helped make at Mutual with Mikayla.
-Beautiful Post Falls 

-- 
"God be with you 'till we meet again!"

Hurrah for Israel!

Much Love,
Sister Jennifer Griffith

No comments:

Post a Comment