Saturday, August 6, 2016

Week 50: Inspiration and Edification

July 25, 2016
Those fancy words just mean that this week was wonderful. That's about it. 

Love, Sister Griffith

...............................................................

JUST KIDDING! I'll write more than that. Part of me really wants to click the "send" button though.... I think there'd be some people who would be grateful for that, and some others that wouldn't be too keen on the idea. For the first people, you may go ahead and stop at the above message. For those who like all of the details that I have a really hard time not writing about (elaboration is my favorite writing skill, haha), this one's for you:

So.. right now I am in the process of reading all of the Ensigns that have come out on my mission. When I do, I have a notepad next to me ready to write down quotes that inspire and edify me so that I can read them when I'm having a bad day, or share them with people who need some more insight about a specific Gospel topic, so that's exciting! Today, I thought I'd write those out for all of you in hopes that one of them will help you and help you to carry on!... or that you can use it in a talk of some sort to help others, either one is good. :) 

  • "For a tree to grow, it needs both roots and branches. We likewise need to be connected to our roots - our parents, grandparents, and other ancestors - as well as to our branches - our children, grandchildren, and other descendants." ~Quentin L. Cook
  • "Growing up in this culture, it is very hard to get a biblical perspective on motherhood... Children rank way below college. Below world travel for sure. Below the ability to go out at night at your leisure. Below honing your body at the gym. Below any job you may have or hope to get." She then adds, "Motherhood is not a hobby, it is a calling. You do not collect children because you find them cuter than stamps. It is not something to do if you can squeeze the time in. It's what God gave you time for." ~A Christian Mom
  • "By studying the scriptures, we see how He operates and talks to us. We can't differentiate the counterfeit voices around us unless we are familiar with His word." ~Kristen Oaks
  • "I bear witness of the miracles, both spiritual and temporal, that come to those who live the law of the fast. I bear witness of the miracles that have come to me. Truly, as Isaiah recorded, I have cried out in the fast more than once, and truly God has responded, "Here I am." Cherish that sacred privilege at least monthly and be as generous as circumstances permit in your fast offering and other humanitarian, educational, and missionary contributions. I promise that God will be generous to you, and those who find relief at your hand will call your name blessed forever." ~Elder Jeffrey R Holland
Well, I hope you enjoyed one of those quotes - I know that they helped me to feel the Spirit a lot! :) I just want you all to know that I love you, care for you, pray for you, and that Heavenly Father is always there for you. He loves you more than you could ever know! I love sharing the Gospel with His children - it is the greatest joy I have come to love and know. I hope that you have a wonderful week and that you continually find joy in the journey and reasons to smile. I'll continue to try and do so as well! :) Sorry this email isn't very long.... I guess I didn't elaborate that much after all! Yay! 

-A beautiful double rainbow we saw this week! :)
-Had Bison for the first time this week.. delicious! 
-We taught Sunday School yesterday for the 17yr-olds. The scriptures they found about the Temple are super awesome. :) 
-My past 2 week experiment - regrowing green onions. SUCCESS!

-- 
"God be with you 'till we meet again!"

Hurrah for Israel!

Much Love,
Sister Jennifer Griffith

OH YEAH! Bonus - Email #2... this really cool experience happened this week with a sister who is starting to return to Church!! :) 

We were teaching a Less-Active this week who was baptized a few years back and has since fell away. She is in her mid 40's and had a stroke when she was 32. She has a really hard time getting her brain to speak the words that she wants it to. We have been working with her this transfer and she has progressed SO much - she came to sacrament meeting a few weeks ago and ALL 3 hours of Church yesterday. Anyway, so she has told us before about how she won't pray out loud because she really "can't." We expressed to her how Heavenly Father really wants to hear from her and that He'll understand what she wants to say even if her mouth doesn't actually make the words come out. Well, after a conversation about it, over the last 5 weeks she has repeatedly rejected the invitation to pray. Well, on Saturday, we asked again and she accepted the invitation to pray. We sat in silence for what seemed like hours when finally she said, "God............. (long pause)........ thank you................. amen." It was the most powerful prayer I have ever heard. The Spirit was strong and this daughter was beaming with joy. The Gospel of Jesus Christ changes people. He changes their hearts. What a blessing to witness. 

Well, that's it.. officially. Haha. No email #3, I promise. 

Have a wonderful week! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment