Monday, October 3, 2016

Week 60: Gratitude for the Thorns

October 3, 2016
FRIENDS AND FAMILY!!! As my dear sweet companion would say, ALOHA!!! 

Wasn't General Conference spectacular? Missed it? Conference.lds.org can solve that problem for you. Some of my favorite quotes and talks will happen later on in this email.. if I have time. :) But really, if you didn't get a chance to watch it, you should. Conference was definitely everything I needed to hear. I received answers to every question I had (FOR THE THIRD TIME IN A ROW!- ever since I've been actually writing down questions..), and even some that I didn't think to ask. Heavenly Father loves us so much and answers our questions because He is our Loving Heavenly Father, and wants us to know of His love. I can't believe that was my last conference weekend as a full-time missionary. My how time has flown..

My testimony has grown a lot this week in the power of honesty and keeping the commandments. Sometimes it's hard to do everything that needs to be done, and to have the courage to do it, but I know that Heavenly Father brings so many blessings into our lives as we follow him. Short term consequences are far better to experience than forfeiting the reward of eternal salvation. This life really is the test! I have seen this again and again as a missionary - for myself, and for those who I have been given stewardship over to teach, serve, and communicate with in this glorious calling. Every commandment and guideline has been given to us for our benefit. There is no commandment that we are asked to keep that doesn't come without a multitude of amazing blessings from our Heavenly Father who knows us and loves us perfectly. :) I know that this is true!

Alright, I promised some thoughts from General Conference, so here they are (in order of when the talks were given in conference):
  1. Robert D. Hales: "We cannot pray away another's agency."
  2. Juan A. Uceda (MY FAVORITE TALK OF ALL CONFERENCE): "The very moment we say, 'Father in Heaven,' he hears."
  3. W. Mark Bassett: Don't be so consumed by what has not been revealed yet (sealed portion of the scriptures, opinions of people, etc) that you don't spend time reading that which was meant to be, that which has already been given to us. Some things can only be learned by faith (study will not answer every question)
  4. Dallin H. Oaks (The greatest missionary work talk-there were so many amazing ones about members and missionaries working together (m&m's as my mission President calls them)): There is no correlation between the depth of our relationship with a person and the level of their interest in learning more about the restored Gospel.
  5. Brian K. Ashton: "Bring something to the sacrificial alter every time you partake of the sacrament. Seek help with being better at that thing during the week."
5 of my favorite things from Conference - the perfect number reflecting the mercy of our Savior. Love you all! Have a great week!

-Exchanges. :) We're making a frozen yogurt tradition.. I approve. :) 

-- 
"God be with you 'till we meet again!"

Hurrah for Israel!

Much Love,
Sister Jennifer Griffith

No comments:

Post a Comment