Thursday, November 5, 2015

Week 12: A Leaky Toilet in the Windy City with Pupcakes

November 2, 2015
So... I couldn't come up with a creative subject line this week, so I just added a bunch of stuff together because this week.. WAS AWESOME!!! :)

Anyway, so... Early into this week, I noticed that there was a huge puddle on the ground next to the toilet.. Confused, I did some investigative work, and found out that it was hardcore leaking... so that was awkward. We went and talked to the maintenance guy and he came and put a temporary fix on it until they can get a new one, so no worries.. all is well. In other news, we finally got good use out of our mop bucket. ;)

The funniest thing that happened this week was probably that I went to a Birthday Party.. for a dog. hahaha, it was probably one of the best experiences of my life. One of our members signed up to feed us and came up to us at church and was like.. "I signed up to feed ya'll this week and then I realized that day is also Bernard's birthday! So we're going to have a Birthday Party for him!!!" .. and we did. She made hot dogs (of course), salads, and the best part were pupcakes (cupcakes with dog treats on them for the dogs).. she also made normal ones too, but we decided we needed to take a picture as if we ate the dog ones, just because. We sang happy birthday to him, and even had a candle for him (the member blew it out). So that was definitely a new experience...

We didn't teach a lot of people this week, unfortunately. It seems like when the work starts to get so good, that's when the adversary is sending out more of his minions in mass numbers to stop all of the progress. That's okay.. that just means that this week we're going to work even harder! Challenge - accepted! 

On Friday, we had the Fall Festival.. Which was super fun! The costumes were by far the best part.. As missionaries, we're not allowed to dress up, so instead, Sister Finau and I switched nametags.. That fooled 'em, for sure. ;) Just kidding, no one noticed.. oh well! We thought it was funny. :) One of our investigators (Ron and Shannon's roommate) who never comes to anything, came to the Fall Festival and even brought some cornbread. It was so awesome that he came! Yay David! One of our other Investigators (Shannon's son's girlfriend - Nicole) came too and so Dustin (Shannon's son) also came.. Literally their entire house are now investigators since Ron got baptized.. it's awesome! It's super hard to find time to teach them all individually though.. we're working on it. So we sat with them and had a blast. Sorry if that whole family dynamic was super confusing.. We wonder about it sometimes ourselves. But I did something funny, and made the comment "they should pay me" and then Dustin and Nicole pulled out a penny and gave it to me.. It was prime. I love these people. :)

In other news, it has been super chilly all week (winter is upon us) and also SUPER WINDY! Like, unreal windy. It was the pits. Skirts in the wind is not fun. Needless to say, my winter scarves and headbands have been busted out, and I am not looking forward to the snow.. hopefully it won't come for a couple more weeks though. *Fingers crossed*

The best thing that happened this week, though, was that NICOLE GOT BAPTIZED!!! YAY! Her baptism was super spiritual, and her husband, Mike, (they got married last week), baptized her! It was super cute. Sister Finau and I sang "Lord, I Would Follow Thee" (we've sung at both baptisms so far.. got to get over that stage fright somehow, right?) and it was so amazing. Of course when I was bearing my testimony, I cried, but that's nothing new. I am so humbled and grateful that I get to take part in the Lord's work here in West Spokane. It is such a tender mercy and each day I am able to notice more and more how much this truly is the work of Heaven, and for that I am so grateful.

Halloween wasn't really eventful (no one was home.. :( ), but we did go to someone's house for dinner and this mom was awesome.. I kid you not.. she made jack-o-lantern stuffed orange bell peppers, mummy hot dogs, spider web 7-layer-dip, all the works. Super dedicated. It was delicious. :) Then we went to Ron and Shannon's for a lesson and I ended up crocheting Shannon a headband too, so that was neat. 

Anyway, that's really all I have for this week. Know that I am well, that I am happy, and that I am so blessed to be on this mission. We are seeing more and more everyday how the Spirit can't dwell in unholy places. If we go to knock on a door and we both don't feel the spirit, we go to the next place, because the Holy Ghost really can lead and guide us if we let Him. It can be difficult in life to try and figure out what the Lord wants us to do to fulfill all that we need to do in life, but I know that one of the best ways we can do that is to follow the promptings of the Spirit. If the thought or feeling is good, act on it. It is from God. When we follow those little promptings, Heavenly Father trusts us with more. But that works both ways. If we don't follow them, we're not given as many. Let our Father in Heaven know that you trust Him - follow those promptings - even if they don't make sense at all. 

This church is true. The Prophet Joseph Smith really did kneel in that grove of trees and saw God the Father and His son, Jesus Christ. The Book of Mormon is the word of God. Our Father in Heaven sent His son, Jesus Christ, to this earth to live and to die for us so that we can all get back to them someday. It is such a beautiful life indeed. Keep that eternal perspective. This life is but a moment, and if we endure, we will be blessed more than we can even comprehend. 

Love you all! Thanks for your love, support, and prayers. They are felt and appreciated. Have a beautiful week! 

-At Nicole's Baptism!
-The Halloween Feast!
-At Bernard's birthday party.. pupcakes. haha

-- 
"God be with you 'till we meet again!"

Hurrah for Israel!

Much Love,
Sister Jennifer Griffith

No comments:

Post a Comment