Thursday, November 5, 2015

Week 6: "I can't believe the Sister Missionaries gave you so much juice!"

September 22, 2015
So... this week was pretty swell!! I had a super great time and have been laughing a lot and finding joy in this whole missionary thing... but of course! When you're constantly preaching the gospel to random people on the street who really don't want to hear what you have to say... like, at all.. there's bound to be some laughs!

In other news, I had my first missionary dream this week, so that's pretty legit.. I had a dream that one of my roommates and I were companions and we were at this conference thing and this lady and her daughter were fighting, and so I decided to go over there in my super bold, subconscious missionary self (for sure what I aspire to be, not real life), and tell them about how families can be together forever and how Heavenly Father loves them. So I did, and even in my dreams I get turned away!! haha, the lady was like, "umm.. go away, we're not interested.." So I did, and then on my way out, I was walking by her and she was like, come here.. So I did and she was sorry about being rude and asked me if I would tell her more about the gospel, so that was legit! If only that would happen in real life now! :) Maybe someday... 

So, something really cool that happened this week was that I got to go to the Spokane temple for the first time!! IT. WAS. AMAZING! As missionaries, we only get to go every other transfer, so once every 12 weeks, and so I went today and won't get to go again for like 3 months, but that's okay! It was such a spiritual time in that beautiful, little temple, and I could feel my Heavenly Father's love so much throughout being there. It was so nice! It can be hard to keep that eternal perspective and happy disposition when we're constantly being turned away, but that's okay.. I know I am here for a reason. It's not by chance, but by an apostle of the Lord looking at my picture and knowing that I needed to come to Spokane. So when the going gets tough, I just try and remember that, and it makes all the difference. 

We took our car in this week to get fixed (last Wednesday) and they had it all the way up until today... so basically we've been riding our bikes a lot (ironic because of the bike accident last week and me thinking I wouldn't ever get to ride it) and getting rides from members.. lots and lots of members. They probably hate us by now, but our area is so spread out that it would take a good 1.5 hours to ride anywhere... BUT, all is well because we finally got our car back today!

Last night we went to this Family Home Evening on the Airforce Base and it was awesome! We were in charge of the ring toss (throwing ring glow sticks at barrels of juice and then the little kids could keep the juice and the glow sticks - hence the subject line.. true story.. also really funny.. and awkward). Haha, so yeah.. some parents weren't too keen with us, but that's alright.. at least the kids had fun! Next time, maybe bottles of water would be better. ;) Anyway...

The area is wonderful. Ron is progressing more towards his baptismal date, and we had an amazing lesson with him last night about the importance of accepting the atonement in our lives and relying on the Savior because He knows all that we experience because He went through it first. We showed him some videos on overcoming addiction, and we left the lesson so uplifted because the spirit was so strong.  It is amazing. No matter how much the adversary tries to work on these beautiful people who are trying to change their lives, if they turn to the Savior and Heavenly Father (through prayer and righteous living) He will always help them to overcome.  What a beautiful and glorious truth. It's hard to come to that realization, but once it happens, we no longer want to turn to evil, but desire, as the scriptures say, to do good continually.

Also, Ron's future daughter-in-law became our investigator this week and it was awesome because she asked me about why we have the Book of Mormon and I was able to answer her all by myself! It was such a blessing to me to see that I really am growing.. slowly, but nonetheless, growing! :) 

No matter what we have each done in the past. No matter how far off the path you feel you have strayed, there is hope ahead. Rely on the Savior and learn to take advantage of the Atonement. Pray for forgiveness and the desire to change and it will come. You may feel like you can't change, but. you. can. The adversary wants you to think that you can't only because he knows how wonderful of a potential for greatness you have, and wants so much for you not to reach that potential.

My thoughts are super jumbled and I can't really remember what all happened this week, but just know that I am doing well. That this work is incredible and I am so beyond blessed to be able to be wearing this missionary nametag with the Savior's name on it. As long as I am testifying of Him, and spreading His love to these people, that's all that matters.

One of the talks I reread this week that is such a life changer is "Lessons from Liberty Jail" by Jeffrey R Holland. It is seriously amazing, so if you have time, you should read it. I promise it's worth every minute. 

Have the best week. Love you all! :) 

-- 
"God be with you 'till we meet again!"

Hurrah for Israel!

Much Love,
Sister Jennifer Griffith

-at the temple! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment