Thursday, November 5, 2015

Week 4: A Land of Miracles

September 8, 2015
So basically I apologize in advance for how jumbled my thoughts are going to be in this email.. It's crazy how fast time goes by and how little I am able to write down adequately enough all of the things that are running through my head. 

This week was pretty amazing! There were for sure challenges, but I never cease to be amazed about the fact that the Lord always provides.  I can testify so much how the spirit will work in our lives if we live worthy of it and how much happiness can be felt through this gospel.  

We went and visited a lot of less active members this week and strove to talk to everyone that we came in contact with. It's super difficult to street contact in a car, but we've found a decently effective, and might I add, hilarious way.  Whenever we are driving to an appointment or just around town and there is someone walking, we legitimately pull over our car, roll down our window, and talk to them about the Gospel of Jesus Christ while we drive slowly alongside of them as they walk.  I can only imagine how big of dorks we look like and what the people that we talk to think of us.. the looks that we've gotten already are super hilarious and keep us laughing.. most people think that we're either the biggest creeps in the world or that we're on drugs or something at first I'm sure, but after we start talking to them, many actually open up and we've already gotten 2 Potential Investigators from doing this, so that's pretty neat! It's not the most effective thing by any means, but it does provide a way for us to fulfill what Preach My Gospel challenges us to do and talk with everyone.

So.. remember that picture I sent last week of Ron, our investigator, and his wife with Sister Norcross and me? WELL.. this is where the miracles come in.  We teach him and her twice a week as she is just coming back to church and Ron is trying to learn about the church.. Long story short, they have been meeting with the missionaries for like an entire year now, and have gone through 4 sets of missionaries before us, and we had kind of just avoided asking him about baptism because he's had 2 other dates set before and has never been able to quit smoking in time.  So this week, we felt prompted to challenge him to quit smoking for reals this time, and he said he didn't think he'd be able to, but we had invited a member to come to the lesson with us and he read Ron some scriptures on resisting temptation and asked Ron if he wanted a Priesthood Blessing for strength and Ron did.  So that happened and he said that he felt "tingly all over" and could just feel the love in the room and said that he wasn't going to buy any more cigarettes and instead save his money for fixing his boat (miracle 1). Then, last night we went back and they said that they only have one more pack in their entire house (there are 6 people there) and that they aren't going to buy any more. Then, we talked about the Plan of Salvation and answered some questions he has had for a while about everything that happens after this life, and we invited him to be baptized because the spirit is so strong and he said YES!!! (Miracle 2). Now, he says that a lot, but he has never committed to setting a date before with us, and we invited him to be baptized on October 10th and he said YES AND HE WAS CRYING THIS WHOLE TIME! (miracle 3)... Basically, we love them so much and I could not stop smiling after that lesson last night.  He was in tears and basically was bearing his testimony to us of the gospel and the people and we are just honestly so excited for him! 

Hopefully that made sense... anyway, just know that this work is good.  My week was wonderful and I am starting to recognize more and more the joy and happiness that comes from sharing this gospel and of loving everyone that we meet.  I have a testimony now more than ever of how much the spirit directs this work and that this truly is the work of Heaven.  There have been so many times already where I'll be asked to share the message and I don't know what to say, but the Spirit prompts me to open to a certain scripture and it's exactly what the person needs to hear, or that we'll prepare one lesson and end up teaching something completely different.  I know that it isn't me or sister Norcross doing this work, it is the work of Christ through the Spirit. He allows us to be the mouthpieces for him and trusts that we will follow the Spirit to bless our brothers and Sisters.  I love this whole missionary thing so much.. I am more tired than I ever have been, and this is the hardest I have ever worked (especially since both of us got colds this week, we're mostly better now though, don't worry) and I just honestly can't even wait for what is in store the next 17.5ish months.  

I just love you all so much! Thank you for your prayers and strength on my behalf. They are felt and appreciated.  Throughout this week, just remember who you are and know that Heavenly Father is so aware of you and everything you are going through at this precise moment and always. In times when you feel like you are so completely alone, get on your knees and pray to a loving Heavenly Father who wants to bless you.  This week I learned about "ask and ye shall receive" and that it doesn't mean we'll always get what we want, but it does ensure that we will always get what we need, but we have to ask.. I invite you all to examine your prayers.  I have been so guilty of just saying the same things over and over, but I have been trying to talk with my Heavenly Father more sincerely and slowly and I can testify that makes all the difference.  

Have the best week! 

Oh, and I actually gave you the wrong address last week.. It's 

9011 S Medifor (not metifor, sorry) Rd
Cheney, WA 99004

Not sure it makes a ton of difference, but just in case! :) 
Here's some photos of this beautiful land! :) 

-Exchanges in Spokane with the Sister Training Leader (I finally went to the land of my mission!)
-Spokane! :)
-At the Primary Activity this week - so happy! We were in charge of the dart station and blew up a bunch of balloons for the kiddies and they stuck them to me.. so we had to take a picture, naturally. :)
-Preaching the Gospel to the Chickens at home (I'm pretty sure they want to be baptized. :))


          LOVE YOU ALL! I hope these made you smile. :) 
--
"God be with you 'till we meet again!"

Hurrah for Israel!

Much Love,
Sister Jennifer Griffith

No comments:

Post a Comment