Thursday, November 5, 2015

Week One: I'm finally a missionary!

August 15, 2015
Well, it's Sister Griffith here! I'm alive, I'm safe, and I am growing.

My P-Day (Preparation Day where we prepare for the coming week, write home, do laundry and all the things there's no time to do throughout the rest of the week) is on Saturdays.  So that's pretty neat.  It's crazy... I have been here for only like 3 and a half days, but it feels like I've been here at the MTC (Missionary Training Center) for a month.  The days are slow, but when I think about everything I've learned in just the short time here, I feel so blessed and grateful.  They say it's like we've been drinking a few drops of water each day and that the MTC experience is similar to drinking out of a fire hydrant.  That's so true! Let me tell you a little bit about my day and you'll understand why.

Basically we wake up each day at 6:30am, have study time, eat breakfast, have personal study, then companionship study, then district study, then doctrinal study, then gym time for like a half an hour which is really a nice break, then we have lunch, and then go to class where we learn from previous missionaries who teach us which is an incredible and spiritual experience.  We have class twice a day, three hours each class period, and have the absolute best teachers.  One of my teachers is Sister Hessing and another is Brother Kezele (Kez-lee).  They have so many wonderful experiences, and teach by the spirit.  It's tough being in class for that long, but it's so worth it.  We learn fundamental truths like faith, baptism, repentance, the Holy Ghost and enduring to the end, talk about what we learn, and then teach our companion and other missionaries in role play.  It's so incredible.  I didn't think that role playing would be something useful because it's not "a real experience," but it honestly is just like teaching an investigator if you let it be.  I have such a testimony of role play and how important it is for preparing to go out in the mission field.  

My companion's name is Sister Bryson.  She is from South Carolina and is honestly such a strength to me. Heavenly Father knew was so wonderful to me by assigning us to be companions. We each have different strengths which is great because when we teach, we compliment each other well. She is so humble, loving, and teaches by the spirit.  It's strange having to be with one person all day every day with very few exceptions, but I'm glad it's with Sister Bryson.  I've only known her for 3 short days, but I already love her.  There are two other Sisters in our district - Sister Lott from Lehi, Utah, and Sister Sisson (also from South Carolina).  All of us Sisters are going to Spokane which is nice because we've all gotten really close.  We have six Elders in our District, 3 going to Spokane with us and then 3 that are going to the Canada Edmonton Mission.  I have learned so much from them and love to be around each of the missionary's sweet spirits and to hear their testimonies.

We have each been assigned an investigator (someone who is interested in learning more about the Church) who is really our teacher acting as an investigator that they had on their missions.  Sister Bryson and I had our first lesson last night with our investigator Al.  He is an ex preacher who is living in a member's home and has an interest in learning more about The Book of Mormon.  It was both of our first time teaching, but we prayed that the spirit would be with us and that we would follow the promptings we received and I can testify that through a tender mercy of the Lord we were able to do just that.  One neat experience was when Al asked, referring to the Church, "So what do I get out of this?"  I had just finished quoting The First Vision where Joseph Smith recounts his experience with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ appearing to him, and didn't feel as though I should say anything else without my companion chiming in, but had a very distinct prompting to be bold.  Heavenly Father through the spirit, however, put into Sister Bryson's mind the exact same prompting, and she followed it and responded, "to put it simply... Salvation." That was my first powerful moment teaching. It was such a testimony to us because we knew that The Lord answered our prayers, and that we can be effective missionaries if we only follow the Spirit. We challenged Al to pray about The Book of Mormon and got him to commit to Baptism provided he comes to an understanding that the Church really is true. We teach him again tonight, and we are so excited!!

Other than Al, Sister Bryson and I are going to start teaching two more investigators (people that the MTC has available to missionaries while here who may or may not be members of the church). One is named Elizabeth and the other is Catherine.  They were both referred to us by members, and are curious about Mormons, what we believe, and want to know more. We teach both of them every day starting on Monday, so I'll let you all know how that goes next week. 

So basically, the MTC is wonderful.  There's a lot of really amazing things to learn, to experience, and to come to a knowledge of. I am excited for the growth that comes throughout this next week and can't wait to write and tell you all about it.  It's hard to adjust to some things (for example, we aren't allowed to use the word "guys" but instead have to say Elders and Sisters, which is a tough adjustment that we all correct each other on like 60 times a day) but it's so wonderful. This is by far the hardest I've ever worked, the tiredest I've ever been, but it's also brought me the most joy. 

I have a testimony of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ on the earth today. I know that I'm here for a purpose and that I'm not just here to teach lessons and to be a robot missionary. I am here to learn, to love my investigators, and to help them Come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel. I am so grateful for all I've learned and can't wait to find out what more is to come. 

I'll try to send pictures next week when I have more time!

--
"God be with you 'till we meet again!"

Hurrah for Israel!

Much Love,
Sister Jennifer Griffith

No comments:

Post a Comment